SPJ at the National Level
Mission (according to the SPJ website)
The Society of Professional Journalists is dedicated to the perpetuation of a free press as the cornerstone of our nation and our liberty.
To ensure that the concept of self-government outlined by the U.S. Constitution remains a reality into future centuries, the American people must be well-informed in order to make decisions regarding their lives and their local and national communities.
It is the role of journalists to provide this information in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and understandable manner.
It is the mission of the Society of Professional Journalists:
- To promote this flow of information.
- To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
- To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
- To foster excellence among journalists.
- To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
- To encourage diversity in journalism.
- To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
- To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.
SPJ at the University of Missouri – Columbia
The student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists at Mizzou is here to ensure that you feel confident taking on any journalism-related career obstacles and find success in the working world. If you join SPJ Mizzou, you’ll be joining a group in which you can share your passions, engage in educational workshops led by professional journalists, plan events, attend regional and/or national conferences and voice your concerns over current journalistic issues. It’s never too late to join and take advantage of the unique opportunities available to our Mizzou members.
The University of Missouri is home to the world’s first journalism school, founded by Walter Williams in 1908, and every day we passionately pursue all facets of a rewarding career in journalism. Some of the best journalists in the world have graduated from the University of Missouri. Whether you are next on the list of prestigious graduates depends on the path you choose as a freshman, sophomore, junior or Senior. Will you take the driver’s seat or sit comfortably in the back?
Another opportunity like this may never again present itself. Contact an executive board member, visit MU, pay your membership dues and begin making your mark at the world’s finest journalism school.